Re: [ga] [fwd] Steering Group for icannatlarge.com. (from: roessler@does-not-exist.org)

[Note: This is Thomas' stating his personal opinion, and not the
chair of the GA speaking in that capacity.]

On 2002-02-28 11:50:07 -0800, William S. Lovell wrote:

>   So where did this Steering Group come from?

I suggested it, and Joop accepted it, with minor modifications.  I
then set up the mailing list and web archive.

>   Especially since three of its "members" have evidently not even
>   registered for membership in ICANN-AT-LARGE!  (Aizu, Hofmann,
>   and Wong). Talk about a setup! There are grave political
>   mistakes being made here already, which should have been thought
>   through.

Most of your criticism is (generally) well-taken, but, at this point
of time, besides the point.

Right now, a lot of "minor" "implementation" details on the site can
quite well have an influence on what happens. Think about what the
options are: Not doing anything is certainly _not_ an option.
Following the (good!) process you describe in your posting requires
a certain number of members to sign up, which means that some time
will go by.

Until then, you have very few choices, when it comes to
implementation decisions which may turn out to be crucial (in
particular when there is no clear input from the relevant community,
yet): Either, the individual in charge of the implementation is
going to make lonely decisions. Possibly after having received
feed-back behind the scenes, from those he bothers to ask, possibly
after having listened to some mailing lists or web forums.  But,
ultimately, he's making decisions of his own, and he's the only one
in charge of important details.

Or, there is some group of (hopefully) respected individuals who
give that feed-back in a publicly visible way, and a commitment of
the implementor to follow the advice of that group.

I very much prefer the second option over the first one, which is
why I worked to implement it.  (I do, in particular, prefer that
second option when we are talking about the single effort which
seems to be getting most of the attention.  Because, in this case,
the third option (namely, to let the effort fail) would cause
considerable harm, and should not be choosen.)

	  This steering group is a quick stop-gap measure.

(OK, maybe we should have called it something else, but I had to
think about a quick name for that mailing list.  atlarge-cabal
didn't sound right, either.)

Please look at it that way, and please work to make it unnecessary
by joining the membership, and helping it to gain momentum.  In
particular, I'd like to ask you to put your comment about the
"statements" policy (which, BTW, was the implementor's decision)
into one of the forums.

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.org/