Re: [ga] [fwd] Steering Group for icannatlarge.com. (from: roessler@does-not-exist.org)

So where did this Steering Group come from? Especially since
three of its "members" have evidently not even registered for
membership in ICANN-AT-LARGE!  (Aizu, Hofmann,
and Wong). Talk about a setup! There are grave political
mistakes being made here already, which should have been
thought through.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that nothing
can be done by ICANN-AT-LARGE until it reaches a
threshold membership -- 100, as I recall -- so it seems
premature and quite unauthorized to be talking about
some "Steering Group" about which no one out here in
the boonies has had the slightest say.

The organization run by a select elite, allowing no input
from individual members, and working behind the scenes,
is precisely what ICANN is all about, which I understood
THIS group was to get away from. Well, this is a miserable
start, methinks, and augers not well at all for the future of
ICANN-AT-LARGE.

This is the equivalent of the "pre-incorporation" stage, and
the rules are made up as one goes along, while ensuring
that the desired tone for the ultimate organization is set as
the people involved intend.  Rather than the present "rule
by fiat" that evidently created this "Steering Group," there
might well be a posting in which those actual members
of ICANN-AT-LARGE who would be willing to serve
on a Steering Group post their names, and then when some
arbitrary minimum number is there, and the membership is
large enough to do so, a poll of all the members selects
some fixed number of Steering Group members, perhaps
5 or 7 or so. The Steering Group becomes those 5, 7
)or whatever number that might be) who garner the most
votes -- each ICANN-AT_LARGE member votes for
that same number of candidates.

I must say that I also don't like the smell of the "Statements"
policy: those posts "of sufficient interest" get posted over on
the Statements page, with the selection of those posts that
so qualify again being in the hands of one person -- nothing
against any of these people, who in fact said good things, but
just look at the Statements page and see who qualified.

Joop Teernstra or anyone else who purports to act
unilaterally in some assumed leadership position with
single-handed, agenda-based policy execution will
undoubtedly kill ICANN-AT-LARGE as it is aborning.

Bill Lovell

----- Forwarded message from Thomas Roessler <roessler@does-not-exist.org> -----