Re: [ga] GA position on the Structure TF report - Corrected response..

Mike and all assembly members,

Mike Roberts wrote:

> There have been several interesting ideas about funding models on
> this thread, all of which suffer in one degree or another from
> obstacles relating to timing, willingness of those who control purse
> strings to go along, transaction costs, etc.
>
> It appears that there is only one option that has any possibility of
> implementation any time soon - a self-organized initial cohort of
> ALSO participants who are willing to pay a membership fee by credit
> card on a secure web site.
>
> Is there interest in an imperfect but feasible option?

  Sure there is interest.  And this would be one funding method that
is feasible.  I disagree that other methods, such as funding coming from
ICANN existing funds, or electronic transfer into standard accounts
is not also being feasible or at least an augmentation to what
you suggest here.  As you know Mike, Credit card fraud is
up over 40% in the past three years.  As such depending completely
on such a funding method is pacarious at best.

> There are tens of millions of Internet users who routinely use credit
> cards for secure online transactions.  The Board previously indicated
> that its lower threshold for viability of an At Large organization
> was 5,000.   $25x5000 = US $125,000, which is at least a start on a
> self-sustaining organization.  $25x10,000 = $250,000 which sounds
> more likely to cover the related costs, assuming that all of the
> leadership continues to be volunteer.
>
> As Alexander's quote of Rosa indicates, ISOC could not build a
> sustaining individual membership at $35 a year.  If ICANN ALSO can't
> meet that general type of minimum test, then the prospects for At
> Large aren't very good.
>
> - Mike

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827