Re[2]: [ga] Concerning Workgroups

Sunday, Sunday, January 20, 2002, 9:26:54 AM, Abel Wisman wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly and like to point out further that in my original
> proposal i made it very clear (i think) that the result of this WG would be a
> draft that would be presented to the GA, redrawn and brought up for a vote in

But thats just it, unless the draft is drawn up with the direct input
of the GA, and completely based on the discussions that have occurred,
and continue to occur, on the GA list, which is the official
manifestation of the DNSO General Assembly under the bylaws, then it
really isn't and couldn't be presented as a consensus document of the
GA.

I understand that everyone thinks there are better ways to do things,
but the fact is that we have a framework we have to working within,
and if we do it outside that framework, we are inviting rejection.

Now, I know you are not in this group, Abel, because I know you from
other lists, and I know pretty much where you stand and where we agree
and disagree, but there are others on this list who would
intentionally try and push things outside the framework, knowing full
well that by doing so they are giving the Names Council and the board
all the reason in the world to ignore it.  They then would use that
failure to further their cases against ICANN and the way ICANN is
setup.

The thing is, the issues themselves are not that important to those
people, and this is an issue that IS important.  We need to not play
into those people's hands, and we need to develop whatever we develop
right here, inside the framework given to us under the charter of the
DNSO and by ICANN's bylaws.

Anything else, and we are setting ourselves up for failure, something
I know you do not want to see happen.  I know you have the best
intentions, Abel, but now is not the time to force a change in the
framework, not when the issue itself is as important and with such a
wide impact as this one.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>

"There is no better way to exercise the imagination than the study of
the law. No artist ever interpreted nature as freely as a lawyer
interprets the truth."
-- Jean Giradoux