Re: [ga] Archives of VeriSign's Domain Policy Mailing List

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:47:59 -0800, William X Walsh wrote:
> Tuesday, Tuesday, January 08, 2002, 12:46:14 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
>
> > We made it very clear that the decision made with regard to the Domain
> > Policy List was made for legal reasons.  You may disagree with our
> > counsel but we pay them to protect us so we listen to them when they
> > speak.  If that is FUD, so be it.  I call that sound business practice.
>
> Ah, but no, Verisign never made that clear.  As a matter of fact,
> Verisign REPEATEDLY denied, to both us and to the press, that legal
> issues had anything to do with the closure of that list, and insisted
> it was a coincidence.

Hi Chuck

I think I must agree with William X. Walsh here.  In fact I already posted the
notification from Tom Newell dated Tue, 24 May 0101 11:13:49 -0400.  This
said:

> This list will be closed effective immediately.  When
> we started the list many years ago, there were no lists
> specifically focusing on domain policy issues.  Today
> there are a wide range of public lists that address
> this topic.

There is no indication here that the list was closed for legal reasons.

However, I'm afraid you completely missed the point.  I was not referring to
the closure of the list as "misinformational" but to Tom's last paragraph
which said:

> Please refer all queries to Brian O'Shaughnessy, of
> VeriSign's Corporate Communications department at
> boshaughnessy@verisign.com.

I did this, Chuck, and got no reply.  Why was that?

Why say "refer all queries to Brian O'Shaughnessy" when you apparently have no
intention of replying to those queries.  In fact I can give similar examples
of non-responses from other VeriSign officers.  And that's without even
talking about VeriSign's "expired names" policies.

In fact, my query went to the heart of the most fundamental aspect of a
mailing list viz. could VeriSign allow us to have access to the mailing list
archives?

With or without the contentious emails.

Best regards
Patrick Corliss