Re: [ga] Terrorism, Joanna, Is Seriously Off Topic

Hi Bill

On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 00:04:01 -0800, William S. Lovell wrote:

> This whole "free speech" issue is a red herring -- a knee jerk reaction --
> and indeed has nothing whatever to do with prohibiting U.S. entities
> from doing business, of any kind, with entities domiciled in embargoed
> countries.  Joop's equation of "terrorism/free speech/censorship" is a
> creation of his own.

I am astounded that you make those sort of remarks, truly.  Joanna
raised the whole issue and flogged it to death.  Weeks ago now.

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 02:20:30 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:

> I fully appreciate that this is a difficult topic because it has freedom of
> speech implications, but we don't have much of a choice.
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc08/msg02731.html

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:39:41 -0500, John Berryhill got it right:

> The issue is not censorship, but simple compliance with the law by US
> companies.  A domain registration contract is entirely separate from whether
> anyone is being "censored".  The issue is the continued performance of
> service contracts by US companies on behalf of parties with whom US law
> prohibits the performance of commercial service contracts.
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc08/msg02750.html

So we don't need to discuss the content of the offending websites. Ok?

Best regards
Patrick Corliss