Re: [ga] The Network Solutions contribution to international terror

on 12/3/01 4:57 AM, Joop Teernstra at terastra@terabytz.co.nz wrote:

> At 21:53 2/12/01 -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>

>> If we're taking votes the subject is really way off topic.
>
> Agree. Not only off topic, but also as a US law enforcement issue a major
> noise generating subject in a global forum such as the GA list.
>
> --Joop

We are in the middle of a War affecting world stability, the ramifications
of which are catastrophic loss of life and business. The new Global
Coalitions and Treaties on Terrorism and Cybercrime are impacting every
nation's ability to do business internationally. ICANN's own Registrar
Accreditation Agreement, clause 3.7.2, requires compliance with all
applicable laws, not only those in the US.

Against this background we have named terrorist groups openly using the DNS,
putting up websites in the legacy root and using them to promote their
illegal activities. These are not "freedom fighters", these are people
engaged in genocide, in Israel, in America and who knows where next. They
are no more worthy of "freedom of speech" rights, than child pornographers
or Nazis, yet less than a handful of people here have taken a responsible
attitude or even shown an interest. There is a thunderous silence from all
the leading Registry and Registrar Compliance Executives, and many are
reading this list. Why? Are they cowards, or in denial?

I don't know about you, but I think they could at least be expressing deep
concern and telling the rest of the world that they will look into the
situation, and get back to us.

Is that off topic enough for you?

Regards,
Joanna