Re: [ga] The Network Solutions contribution to internationalterror

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> At 21:53 2/12/01 -0800, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
>
> >If we're taking votes the subject is really way off topic.
>
> Agree. Not only off topic, but also as a US law enforcement issue a major
> noise generating subject in a global forum such as the GA list.
>
> --Joop

Disagree here. That "global forum," in particular, might well be reminded
that whatever business it does in/with the U. S., and with entities such as
ICANN (a California corporation) and Verisign, register.com, etc., etc.,
has to be done in accordance with U. S. law.  Not fair? How'd the U.S.
get to be the big mokus here? Well, that's history -- it's now a fact and
the world has to live with it, until all this business gets placed under an
international treaty having specific "choice of law" terms.

If the GA wants to do something constructive, it might well set up a
group to draft an international treaty then to be floated out. Those
from other countries who tune in on all this blather might well have
a special interest in pursuing that track quite vigorously.

Bill Lovell

--

The URLs for Best Practices:
DNSO Citation:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/gaindex.html
(Under "Other Information Documents"; "August 2001:
Proposal for Best Practices for the DNSO GA." This
page also includes much else about the DNSO.)
Part I:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BestPractices.html
Part II:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-flowchart.pdf
(Access to the .pdf file requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader,
available for free down load at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.)
Part III:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20010813.GA-BP-PartIII.html