[ga] Top Three Issues

Rick Wesson has written to me asking, "would you mind posting the top 3
issues the GA should be working on?"

As a sense of focus is important to any organization, I thank Rick for his
suggestion.  My thoughts are focused on representational issues...

1.  The ICANN Board put forth the following resolution:  Resolved [01.132]
that a Committee of the Board is hereby established, to be known as the
Committee on Restructuring, to monitor and provide reports to the Board on
these issues, and to evaluate and make recommendations to the Board
concerning any specific proposals or applications to the Board that would or
could affect the structure of ICANN or the composition of the Board.

As the Board has also resolved [01.127] "that representation should accompany
participation for informed, sustained involvement of interested individuals
in ICANN policy and decision-making", and as the General Assembly is
currently a disenfranchised institution without the right to vote in the
DNSO, our membership should either be working on the details required to
bring Roeland's motion (adopted by the GA) into fruition, or should
acknowledge the GA as an unneeded structural redundancy in light of the
coming establishment of the ALSO.  This is a time for self-organization and
self-determination.  The GA will either act upon its own future, or it will
have no future.

2.  Patrick Corliss reminded us of the comment made by Adam Peake:  "The task
force system should be abolished and all DNSO policy making conducted through
the open processes: working groups".  These vile task forces have denied the
membership of this Assembly their rights under the Bylaws for full
participation in the substantive work of the DNSO.  In my view, it is time to
take a stand on this issue, and I would recommend withdrawing all GA
participation from every task force until such time as open working groups
are fully restored.  As your thoughts may not accord with mine, other
recommendations on the best way forward are welcomed.

3.  Our promised nine seat At-Large representation on the ICANN Board is at
risk.  Constituencies, like vultures, are lining up to feed on the carcass of
the At-Large.  Every one of these interest groups is offering up a plan to
enhance their own representation at the expense of the At-Large (which has
been denied by ICANN even its own website within which it may organize its
opposition).

The ICANN Board has called for comments on the ALSC Final report.  Within
ICANN we are the only group that does not seek to profit at the expense of
the At-Large.  We have an obligation to defend the interests of the broader
Internet community and must do so with an orchestrated campaign that
demonstrates to this Board that we will not sanction abrogating the
commitment made in our founding compact with the US government.

Assembly members may have other opinions as to what constitutes the top three
issues... this would be a good time to air such thoughts.