Re: [ga] Afternic Auctioning register.com expireds

On 22:53 19/10/01, Andy Gardner said:
>I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression, that ICANN's mandate was to
>introduce competition at the registrar level, to ensure customers are
>supplied domain names at appropriate fee levels.

The registrar level has been created by the ICANN. How could have they had
to reoganize an activity they had not orgnaized yet. My understanding is
that they had to reorganize the registry level through TLD competition and
made people believe that 100 registrars selling the same registry was
competition. It was only the investors in registrars who subsidized NSI
warranting the NSI registry a $ 6 revenue oer DN over millions of new
domain names (otherwise NSI would have had to pay for the customer support
footed by registrars now for even less than one single dollar per annum).
This seems to have permitted NSI to better organize their strategy and to
restore the previous situation in a) having the right to keep being a
registrar (Plan B) and b) in buying back registrars once they have no more
money to continue paying for the NSI sales. NSI share value does not show
that the company has been really contained by the ICANN.