Re: [ga] Afternic Auctioning register.com expireds

Paul,

Registrars have asked ICANN to clarify the meaning of the term 'cancel' in
regards to RRP Commands. Registrars have asked formally in no less than 3
instances.

As yet the ICANN staff have not replied. It is my hope that they will make
a clarification to the registrars soon. I know alot is going on over
there, but we expect a statement from staff regarding this issue.

-rick

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Paul Cotton wrote:

> "With this in mind, Afternic is launching a test bed. The concept is
> simple: When a registrar's names expire, they become Afternic
> auctions. During the auction, members can claim any names they find
> valuable. Those unclaimed at the end of the auction are returned to
> the pool of available names. The first registrar participating in the
> test bed will be Register.com. We hope to add more registrars in the
> coming weeks." (Taken from the Afternic "Urly Indicator" Friday
> 10.19.01)
>
> Is it me, or does this appear to be a violation the registrar
> accreditation agreement insofar as unpaid domains should be cancelled:
>
> "3.7.5 Registrar shall register Registered Names to Registered Name
> Holders only for fixed periods. At the conclusion of the registration
> period, failure by or on behalf of the Registered Name Holder to pay a
> renewal fee within the time specified in a second notice or reminder
> shall, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, result in
> cancellation of the registration. In the event that ICANN adopts a

Dan, specificly what does the highlighted statement above mean in terms of
RRP commands. If it does not mean issueing a 'deleteDomain' what does this
term mean, and why do you interpit as such?