Re: [ga] Domain names as observed

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 7/30/01 12:06 PM, Kent Crispin at kent@songbird.com wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:35:43AM -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
> >> Joanna wrote:-
> >> <snip>
[SNIP]
> > I interpreted "active" in this context to mean "registered", as you
> > appear to do as well, since you continue to use the term "registered" vs
> > "unregistered" below.  It makes a certain amount of sense, in fact,
> > since we were talking about legal issues, and the point of registration
> > is when the domain name gets legal status as a domain name, via the
> > registration agreement...
>
> Then you interpreted wrong. The names are registered, but do not resolve to
> any website, i.e not active. Apologies for any confusion, but the fact that

Dear Joanna,

Who says that a domainname MUST resolve to a web-site ???
I can think of at least 3+ other ways to have a domainname "active"....
In fact, I really dont know how to interpret the term "In use", or how to check
it. Is it 1 byte per second transmitted over that name, or ..... ????

And that is why, we (under .dk) say, that all it takes, is active nameservice,
to make a specific domainname appear as "in use" or being "active".
And (as you know) it is all right to have an "empty" zone, and in this case, the
domainname will resolve to "nothing", but still be considered as "active".

Regards
Per Koelle
.DK

[SNIP the rest]