Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to CochettiTransfer Letter)

on 7/30/01 3:31 PM, Roberto Gaetano at ga_list@hotmail.com wrote:

> Joanna Lane wrote:
>
>> ..... I sense that the general public would agree with the opinion
>> that any "string" ending with ".tld" is generally understood to be a
>> "domain
>> name", even if it is unregistered and non-existant in any root. The phrase
>> is already in the vernacular in that respect.
>>
>> Added to that, there is no way to distinguish the example.com "domain name"
>> from the example.com "string" by just looking at them, so it's nonsense to
>> give them totally different labels. I'm sure the public at large can manage
>> "unregistered domain name" and  "registered domain name", if that would be
>> more acceptable to you, but to refuse to use the term domain name in any
>> shape or form when referring to a .tld, simply because it may not have been
>> registered, is exactly the sort of confusion we should be avoiding in the
>> public interest.
>

> I would not be so sure.
> Would you find acceptable to buy from some registrar "string.foo", and to
> find out that it is an "unregistered domain name"?

Hello Roberto,
ICANN doesn't have the TM for "domain name", and therefore cannot apply any
sort of regulatory power over its use. It could however coin a new term for
an "authoratitive domain name", to distinguish between those purchased
inside and outside the ICANN root and accredited registrar system, if you
think that would be helpful.

> Exactly for consumer protection purposes, i.e. in the public interest, we
> should use the term "domain name" consistently for something that "has the
> property that make it usable as a domain name".

I agree, consistency is vital, hence the need for a clear definition of
domain name, but it really has grown into a generic term applying to all
kinds - registered, unregistered, expired, 2nd level, 3rd level etc. It's
impractical to now try to restrict it's use to only those domain names with
particular attributes, and expect everything else to be renamed or called
strings. This is the result of no definition having been determined from the
outset. It's just the way it is, and we would do better to concentrate on
new terms for domain name sub-categories to distinguish between them IMO.

Regards,
Joanna