Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochet tiTransfer Letter)

Joanna,

> > I would not be so sure.
> > Would you find acceptable to buy from some registrar "string.foo", and
> > find out that it is an "unregistered domain name"?
>
>Hello Roberto,
>ICANN doesn't have the TM for "domain name", and therefore cannot apply any
>sort of regulatory power over its use. It could however coin a new term for
>an "authoratitive domain name", to distinguish between those purchased
>inside and outside the ICANN root and accredited registrar system, if you
>think that would be helpful.

For the record, I was not making a question at all about ICANN and non-ICANN
roots, just the existence of the domain name on any domain name server.
If the string does not exist on any DNS, I maintain it cannot be called a
domain name, but just ... a string.

Regards
Roberto