Re: [ga] Domain names as observed (was Tucows Response to Cochet tiTransfer Letter)

Joanna Lane wrote:

>..... I sense that the general public would agree with the opinion
>that any "string" ending with ".tld" is generally understood to be a
>"domain
>name", even if it is unregistered and non-existant in any root. The phrase
>is already in the vernacular in that respect.
>
>Added to that, there is no way to distinguish the example.com "domain name"
>from the example.com "string" by just looking at them, so it's nonsense to
>give them totally different labels. I'm sure the public at large can manage
>"unregistered domain name" and  "registered domain name", if that would be
>more acceptable to you, but to refuse to use the term domain name in any
>shape or form when referring to a .tld, simply because it may not have been
>registered, is exactly the sort of confusion we should be avoiding in the
>public interest.

I would not be so sure.
Would you find acceptable to buy from some registrar "string.foo", and to
find out that it is an "unregistered domain name"?

Exactly for consumer protection purposes, i.e. in the public interest, we
should use the term "domain name" consistently for something that "has the
property that make it usable as a domain name".

There are some green pieces of paper in circulation that "look like
dollars", maybe to the extent that the average person is unable to
distinguish them from the "dollars" printed by the US Treasury, but the fact
that you may be arrested if you claim that they are real "dollars" should
show that "just looking at them" may not be a satisfactory approach to tell
the difference.

I do agree with Leah, when she makes the analogy with a rent/lease of an
apartment:

>A property manager for an apartment complex does not
>necessarily own the complex, but has the rights to lease
>apartments within that property.  The tenant does not own the
>apartment, but does have whatever rights are conferred under the
>lease agreement.  He may or may not be able to sublet the
>apartment, sell, will or trade his rights in the lease contract, use it
>for something other than his domicile, etc.  It would all depend on
>the lease contract.  As long as the tenant continues to pay his
>"rent" and/or fees and does not violate the terms of the lease
>agreement, he has the right to enjoy the use of that apartment.
>
>I don't see a registration as anything different, really, except that
>there is no physical property involved, but just a contract for a
>service.

Regards
Roberto