Re: [ga] Domain names as observed

(see below)

Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> The domain name system is totaly independent from any technical frame work.
> It is a pure naming convention equivalent to your disk directory system, to
> the family name system and to many other naming existing systems. Nothing
> new under the sun.
>
> On 18:06 30/07/01, Kent Crispin said:
> >The point is, the domain name system is embedded in a technical
> >framework, with associated terms, and some familiarity with that
> >environment is required before one is qualified to make policy
> >concerning domain names.
>
> What is the necessary familiarity you require? I know that "songbird" is
> your domain name and that you registered it with the .com registry. May be
> you also registered it for your car plate, and may be your registered it
> for you home address. You seem to have gegistered it as a TradeMark to name
> products or  services without someone else using "songbird" in the same
> class and confuse the public.
>
> >At some point, technical issues take absolute
> >priority: no matter how hard you try, you can't legislate that
> >automobiles will henceforth use water for fuel; just like you can't
> >legislatively decide that pi=3.  I know that Mr Lovell will shout that
> >I am being an elitist technocrat for saying things like this...

Now, Kent.  Be nice. I may be an attorney, but I started out as,
and still am, a PhD (Princeton) Physical Chemist, and I never let
any of my clients change any of the laws of physics or mathematics.
Walking by Albert Einstein's office once a week has an effect.

:-)

Bill Lovell

> True, but there is a difference between wanting to rebuild the universe
> (changing pi into 3) and having a few (real, moving and virtual) places in
> the world named "songbird".
> Jefsey

Any terms above that are not familiar to the reader may
possibly be explained at:
"WHAT IS": http://whatis.techtarget.com/
GLOSSARY: http://www.icann.org/general/glossary.htm
Archives of posted emails on various General Assembly