Re: [ga] Domain names as observed

on 7/30/01 9:11 PM, Per Koelle at pk@dk-hostmaster.dk wrote:
> Dear Joanna,

> Who says that a domainname MUST resolve to a web-site ???
> I can think of at least 3+ other ways to have a domainname "active"....
> In fact, I really dont know how to interpret the term "In use", or how to
> check
> it. Is it 1 byte per second transmitted over that name, or ..... ????
>
> And that is why, we (under .dk) say, that all it takes, is active nameservice,
> to make a specific domainname appear as "in use" or being "active".
> And (as you know) it is all right to have an "empty" zone, and in this case,
> the
> domainname will resolve to "nothing", but still be considered as "active".
>
> Regards
> Per Koelle
> .DK

Dear Peter,

Thank you. We could use this to define sub-categories for the status of
various Domain Names, along the lines of:-

An Active (or Registered) Domain Name would be one with active nameservice.
An Inactive (or Unregistered) Domain Name would be one without active
nameservice, also known as a String.

An Active Domain Name also has sub-categories, for those that resolve to
websites (zones in use), and those that do not resolve (empty zones).

If the list becomes unmanageable, we want to develop a Flow Chart.

Regards,
Joanna