[ga] Creating the Right Environment

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:35:17 -0700, William S. Lovell wrote:
Subject: [ga] Re: Excess Posting Limits

Hi William

Your post ranged over a lot of issues unrelated to excess posting limits so
I am retitling the subject acccordingly.  However, I have no intention of
answering all of your points in detail unless over a beer somewhere.  That
is chat room stuff.

Suffice it to say that your discussion invites detailed response.  But any
response on the GA list commits the same sin viz discussing procedure on the
GA list.  Brief comments:

> I thought that that matter had been resolved weeks ago -- the Chair and
> Alternate Chair are not supposed to have limits on official business, and
> if that has not been written into the rules and instructions to monitors
by
> now, it should be.

The fact is that a rule does not become *law* UNLESS and UNTIL it has been
passed by the General Assembly.  That's standard jurisprudence, I would have
thought.

I refuse to keep repeating this mantra.  Everybody else on GA understands
it.

<snip>
> And I say again, why is all this not on ga-rules? The Chair or Alternate
> Chair, it seems to me, have the authority to move it there.

At one time I was a government inspector.  The legislation we were working
under had a section called "Powers of Inspectors".  Please point to the
equivalent section that gives powers to the Chair or Alternate Chair.

> ndeed, at
> one point I was personally asked by the Alternate Chair to move a
> topic out of ga (where it had been started by someone other than me)
> and put it into ga-rules, which I did.  Would the Alternate Chair like
> me to do that again? I would be pleased to oblige.

Sure, I could do that.  You were kind enough to oblige.  Sadly,
unfortunately, whatever you like, many others on the list refused to be so
accommodating.  Some even did the exact opposite just to be contrary.

Hence the need for a rule.  Which has to be passed on the GA list.

Can we save "testing the bounds" until we get the motion passed?

Regards
Patrick Corliss