Re: [ga] a quote from Lynn

Steven and all assembly members,

Steven Heath wrote:

> Also quoting from ICANN follow up to new.net.
>
> As a ccTLD operator I have major concerns with this statement:
>
> "Today, there are only three global commercial TLDs in the authoritative
> root, all operated by a single registry operator. The four6 new global
> commercial additions (operated by four different registry operators)
> endorsed by ICANN represent a greater-than-100% increase in the number of
> global TLDs, and a 400% increase in the number of separate registry
> operators.7 If experience shows that these additions can be made without
> adverse effects - and there is every reason to hope that will be the case -
> then presumably additional TLDs can be established more quickly in the
> future should that prove desirable."
>
> The first line I feel is shocking in this clipping from
> http://www.icann.org/icp/icp-3-background/response-to-new.net-09jul01.htm
>
> It appears this is a formal attempt to reposition GENERIC TLDs as now being
> GLOBAL TLDs. This appears to be an attempt to under mine ccTLD's by making a
> ghetto for them and 'putting them in their place' by them being regional and
> not global.

  It would seem that because the ccTLD's have been having a problem
with the ICANN BoD and staff, like allot of other Registries, that they have
on their own accord, decided to shun them from a political stand point.
However I wouldn't worry about it much Steven.  What has the ICANN BoD
and staff done for any of the ccTLD's thus far???

> Last time I checked any gTLD or ccTLD can resolve anywhere in the world so
> what right does ICANN claim their are only _3_ commercial TLD's?

  None of course.  However this is just political pontificating from Mr. Lynn.
And not too clever of an attempt either....

> Steven Heath
> Councillor, InternetNZ (.nz ccTLD Manager)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827