RE: [ga] a quote from Lynn

Also quoting from ICANN follow up to new.net.

As a ccTLD operator I have major concerns with this statement:

"Today, there are only three global commercial TLDs in the authoritative
root, all operated by a single registry operator. The four6 new global
commercial additions (operated by four different registry operators)
endorsed by ICANN represent a greater-than-100% increase in the number of
global TLDs, and a 400% increase in the number of separate registry
operators.7 If experience shows that these additions can be made without
adverse effects - and there is every reason to hope that will be the case -
then presumably additional TLDs can be established more quickly in the
future should that prove desirable."

The first line I feel is shocking in this clipping from
http://www.icann.org/icp/icp-3-background/response-to-new.net-09jul01.htm

It appears this is a formal attempt to reposition GENERIC TLDs as now being
GLOBAL TLDs. This appears to be an attempt to under mine ccTLD's by making a
ghetto for them and 'putting them in their place' by them being regional and
not global.

Last time I checked any gTLD or ccTLD can resolve anywhere in the world so
what right does ICANN claim their are only _3_ commercial TLD's?

Steven Heath
Councillor, InternetNZ (.nz ccTLD Manager)