Re: [ga] a quote from Lynn

I share Steven's concern about this attempt to re-name generic TLDs and call
them 'global' TLDs.  All TLDs are global and there are certainly more than 4
global commercial TLDs (eg. .tv, .nu, .cc, .la, .com, .net, .biz, etc).( I
am not sure whether it is correct to call .org a 'commercial TLD)
Any change of nomenclature is very important and has a long term impact on
the way in which people think about the DNS.   I think it is pretty clear
that we need an agreed classification system which is heirarchial in nature.
This is something on which the NC could consider developing a policy
position.

Just to start the ball rolling, I would suggest that the top level
distinction should turn on the controlling authority.  For gTLDs, the
ultimate controlling/regulatory authority is ICANN.  For ccTLDs, the
ultimate controlling authority is the Administrator of the ccTLD (acting on
behalf of the LIC, etc).   ICANN provides services to the ccTLDs but does
not, and should not, control/regulatate their operation.

Within both the gTLDs and  the ccTLDs, further distinctions could be drawn.
1.Some could be classified as 'open' in the sense that anyone can register a
name.  Others could be classified as 'closed' in the sense that not every
entity is eligible to register a name in the TLD.
2.Some TLDs are structured in the sense that they have a limited number of
prescribed 2LDs and are open for registrations only at the 3LD level
Others are unstructured and open for registrations at the 2LD.
3. Some TLDs offer free name registration, others require payment.  Others
again are mixed - with some registrations offered free of charge and other
for a payment of a fee.
4.  Some TLDs offer registration terms for only one year - others offer
registration terms for up to 10 years.

In principle, there is no reason why these sorts of variations could not be
found in amongst both ccTLDs and gTLDs.  Therefore, these variations cannot
be used to distinguish between ccTLDs and gTLDs.

Is there any interest in the GA in pursuing the development on a policy for
the classification of TLDs by the DNSO?

erica

As I see it, the key distinction is not between commercial and
non-commercial TLDs,  open or closed TLDs, but between generic and country
code ccTLDs.
For this reason, I think it would be appropriate to propose that the NC
provide advice to the Board on key nomenclature and the heirarchy to be used
when distinguishing between different types of TLDs.differences between
ccTLDs and gTLDs.  Once that is clear, then it will be possible to
distinguish between different types of gTLDsw and ccTLDs.
Just to start the ball rolling, I suggest that the distinction be drawn
along the following lines:
Key characteristics:
gTLD= generic TLDs-
*entered in the ICANN/USG root
* operation of gTLDs is subject to ICANN policies (UDRP, transfers, etc)
ccTLDs
* entered in ICANN/USG root
* operation is subject to policies determined by the ccTLD Manager.