Re: [ga] GA-REVIEW & Other Mailing Lists

WXW and all assembly members,

William X. Walsh wrote:

> Hello William,
>
> Monday, June 11, 2001, 10:55:14 PM, William S. Lovell wrote:
>
> > Excellent response by Joanna. In the first place, measuring the value of
> > a list by the amount of traffic it has is an extraordinary misperception of
> > the process.
>
> Ok, ignore the one sided low traffic levels.  What purpose has the
> list served that would not have been served by having those issues on
> the main GA?

  This is and excellent question.  I would have to say honestly, none
that could not have been served on the DNSO GA list.  However,
there are some on the DNSO GA list that are not interested in the
subject areas discussed on the ga-sys list and therefore do not wish
to be impacted on the DNSO GA list with posts related to those
subject areas.

> To be honest, I see the removal of this issue to the ga-sys sublist as
> more harmful to Joanna's (and apparently your own) cause.  The list
> will only attract people and posts from polar opposites.  We have
> already seen that.

  Polar opposites are not going to go away because of a list being
done away with and the subject matter moved to the DNSO GA
list.  Two sides or more are not uncommon with some if not most
subjects or issues, such as Whois privacy, ect...  So this is not
a good argument for eliminating the ga-sys list either.

> The subject is more likely to get better coverage, and much broader
> debate and higher level of input, by being right here on this list.

  This is debatable, to be sure as we have already seen in the past...

> The GA-SYS list does not help progress on the issues Joanna has
> raised.

   Doesn't hurt it either.  But I would prefer to see a broader forum
available to discuss these issues.

> I'm not advocating the dissolution of the list because the subject
> discussed there is one I do not agree with.

  I think you mean the positions of most of the subscribers to the GA-SYS
list are not in agreement with yours.

> I advocate the dissolution of the lists because they serve no purpose
> but segregation and division, and do not contribute in any substantive
> way towards progress.

  With the Whois issue I tend to agree.  I am not sure any venue or forum
would provide any progress.  It seems that the different governments
and the ability of those whom advocate a particular position will garner
the support in any method available to them.  As we have seen in the EU,
and with many of our members advocating the Opt-in position of Whois
privacy, that a multitude of venues or forums will do more to gain support
that any single one can do or has done.

> --
> Best regards,
> William X Walsh
> mailto:william@userfriendly.com
> Owner, Userfriendly.com
> Userfriendly.com Domains
> The most advanced domain lookup tool on the net

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827