[ga] Re: Achieving Some Work-Output

Hello Patrick,

Monday, June 11, 2001, 11:57:16 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:42:05 -0700, William X. Walsh wrote:

>> I advocate the dissolution of the lists because they serve no purpose
>> but segregation and division, and do not contribute in any substantive
>> way towards progress.

> Hi William

> Thank you for your clarification.  Could I ask you whether you see a place
> for working groups with the General Assembly?  Or do you see the whole
> thing as a single "chat room" as Eric has called it?

I don't agree that these are the only two options, Patrick.

I've pushed our chair to act like a chair and to be an instrument of
consensus.  Our chair should be guiding discussion, prioritizing
subjects of discussion and debate, and helping us by pulling out the
points where we agree and using them to help bring us about to points
of consensus on the subject.

Jonathan Weinberg's leadership in NC Workgroup C on gTLDs is an
excellent example of how to do that, in what was probably the most
hotly contested issue in the DNSO to date.

We need a chair who will lead us, not come in every few days and
preach more about dismantlement, and chastise people for not
accomplish anything when the real cause is his failure to be a
presence on this list that coordinates and works with us.

And it doesn't take a lot of time to do that.  Again I hold Jonathan
up as an example of that.

The co-chair should be stepping in and assisting him in doing that,
and helping him to be a stabilizing presence here and in helping bring
about consensus on the issues that need to be addressed (and that
means recognizing when his own agenda is not going to be adopted and
be willing to set it aside).

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh