[ga] Re: [ga-sys] British Privacy Laws

Hello Joanna,

Welcome back to the GA list.

Tuesday, June 12, 2001, 12:26:43 AM, Joanna Lane wrote:

> Hello Patrick,

> Welcome to the GA-SYS list, where I have now forwarded your comments,
> together with my reply below.

> Regards,
> Joanna

<snip>

>> Further, Britian has enacted some of the most intrusive legislation
>> related to the Internet that exists, the Regulation of Investigatory
>> Powers, which among other things gives British authorities the right
>> to intercept ALL Internet traffic as well as force individuals to turn
>> over encryption keys WITHOUT a warrant. I'd hardly call Britain a model of
>> privacy....

> Irrelevant. First, Britain is only one of 15 countries in the EU. It is
> often outvoted, which is why the UK no longer sells gallons of fuel and
> pounds of potatoes, instead it's litres and kilos. Second, you are talking
> police authorities accessing information in the line of duty to prevent
> crime. I am talking about all the crackpots in the world who have access to
> your physical contact details for any reason whatsoever. Apples and Oranges.

Only because you elected to not take advantage of opportunities to
protect your own privacy.

The fact is that there are costs to increased security.  It is not an
absolute right.

If you want more security for your house, you purchase a security
system.  If you want more protection in your neighborhood, you hire a
private security patrol.

If you want your contact information to be private, you hire a service
for that as well.  You get a mail drop/PO Box, you get a cheap
voicemail service, you do the things you need to do to protect your
own privacy as you see fit.

The responsibility lies with you.

There is a growing tendency in these forums for people to not want to
take personal responsibilities for the things they need and want.
They expect those things to be done for them by someone else.

These things require work, they require an investment, either in time
or in money, or some other trade off.

If the price is too high, there are numerous anonymous third level
domain services that can fill your needs. The trade off is that you
must abide by a much more rigid registration agreement, which means
that if you break the rules (spam, etc) you lose your domain.  This is
not the case in the world of second level and ccTLDs domains for the
most part.

So each individual has to decide for themselves what level of privacy
they want, and want price they are willing to pay for it, either in
moving from the second to third level and agreeing not to do certain
things with your domain, or by getting a maildrop or voicemail service
to protect your private data.

These things are best left to the INDIVIDUAL.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh