Re: [ga] the NC takes the next step

Joanna:

IMO, it has always been a "buyer beware" situation with any ccTLD
since they are, in fact, country specific.  Even if the registrar is located
in this country, its rules are born in their contract with the cctLD, and
that is based on specific countries' laws.  The ccTLD could cancel a
contract with a provider and there would be little or no protection for
registrants.

I really don't feel that ICANN should interefere with how ccTLDs operate.
 That is a business decision and it should be up to registrants to know
what they are buying and what the guarantees are.  I also think that
registries are responsible for setting basic terms of service and that
registrars are then responsible for including those basic terms in their
own contracts.  This is why it is so important to read the user
agreements for each registry/registrar and then decide whether you
want to do business with them.

Finally, I think that it is time to offer "privacy bureau" services so that
domain name holders have privacy protection and not have their
personal information plastered all over the net.

Leah