Re: [ga] the NC takes the next step

Joanna and all assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> on 6/6/01 7:27 AM, DPF at david@farrar.com wrote:
>
> >> The argument to that is that there is a fundamental conflict of interest for
> >> the ccTLDSO to represent both themselves and their client.
>
> > It is worth remembering that some ccTLDs are primarily controlled by
> > their customers.  ISOCNZ controls *.nz and most members are just
> > ordinary users.  Not to say such control has always been there but we
> > should be careful about assuming that ccTLD registries are directly
> > comparable to gTLD registries.  The latter are just a business seeking
> > to make money, the formers are a variety of forms.
> >
> As an individual registrant, I don't need to know about (although I may be
> interested in) all the ins and outs of how a particular ccTLD is structured.
> What I do need to know is that I have a forum to air grievances against both
> my ccTLD and my gTLD registries, in the form of an ombudsman. If that is to
> be an internal procedure of each country, so be it, but that still leaves
> gTLD registrant issues within ICANN.

  These have been outstanding issues even before ICANN existed.  They
remain so, and are even now more serious issues than in the past, IMHO.
Many good suggestions were made in the past as to how to deal with
these specific issues, and went ignored by the NC and therefore did
not become very important ones that needed to be addressed by the
ICANN BoD as a result.

> A ccSO effectively puts all country specific issues offtopic for DNSO, so
> the IDNHC proposal must now be reviewed in the light of this development.
> What are the alternatives ?

  Not many good alternatives are currently available.  So I do believe that
the  IDNHC proposal must be considered.  However the actual decision
should be in the hands of the stakeholders to determine, not the ICANN BoD.
All the ICANN BoD should do with policies of this nature is implement them
and enforce them when and where possible and required by the policy
itself....

> Regards,
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827