[ga] ccTLDs should raise the Standard

ICANN will move too slow on the ccTLD position and as it appears
to be designed that way it is good.  Generally speaking, within certain
boundaries which have been decided, the market should drive the
Internet.

Since the creation of ccTLDs the vast majority of countries considered
the ccTLD as a national resource, we here in the U.S call it a public
resource but that means the same thing except a public is always open to

the entire public.*  I believe that this is a proper
interpretation of what the ccTLD is and was.

Next came an overwhelming majority of countries following the BE, UK, DE
and
FR models for policy regarding the use and administration.  While it is
unclear exactly when and where China adopted a similar policy which is
commonly referred to as the Old China Policy, (OCP), it carried the same

restriction regarding no usage of their ccTLD from outside the country.
I do not like the commercialized term restricted and unrestricted as it
is not entirely accurate. This logic followed in theory because it was a

national resource it should only be used by those inside the country -
this actually makes sense on a fundamental level. Of course this
dovetailed with
technology of the time, which has changed.

However it is flawed when you evaluate how this resource may best serve
the country and become a productive resource. We now have experienced
the commercialized ccTLDs and a flaw to the current method of use shows
us quite illustratively that closing the loop for usage denies the
development of the ccTLD.  In the commercialized settings warehousing
has caused the same problem as closing registration to inside the
country.  This same truth can be extrapolated to all of ICANN and the
manner in which they have have let registrars become warehousers, and
Versisigh become both a warehouser and a holder of roots. Everything on
the
Net must be used or it becomes useless.

Can the same now be said for the USG.  I think not.  The USG has a long
history of allowing enterprises to fail without regulating them into
history.  Indeed even though our regulated and yet monopolistic
megacorps are quite historic they are the exception and not the rule.
The breakups of such monopolistic allowances are often very difficult
and yet forced upon us by our government, power companies and phones
come to mind. In the end if we truly allow market forces to govern the
balance is struck between unfettered power and the peoples desire, based

upon supply and demand.

We can look at some of the words now used in the industry to see the
importance to open registration policies.  The term Information
Technology is now most generally used to describe internet usage and the

simultaneous application of computers in closed environments.
Information contained and protected from new information is old
information and almost useless in today's fast paced market and
technology.  Information is almost impossible to keep up with in a
completely unfettered environment and completely impossible to keep up
with in a restricted flow of information environment.

In order to maintain and in fact increase the value of the Internet and
ccTLDs, countries must adopt an open policy of registration and not only

allow outsiders to have registration access but develop ways in which
to encourage outside registration. If this means meaningful mnemonics
combined
with country recognition that is good but without a combination we lose
value
to the country.

The Internet ccTLD is indeed a National resource and should be treated
as such.  It must be used in order to make the greatest benefits for the

country and their people.
In emerging countries Oil is only a valuable resource when it is
developed for internal use
and indeed becomes a greatest resource when it is exported.  The same is

true of the ccTLD resource.

When determining just how to use an internet resource the government
must come up with some sort of mechanism to obtain an understanding of
the will of the local internet community.  This is minimal in a
developing internet nation and yet maximum in a developed internet
nation.

It is my belief that applying the principle of marketing is education
and education is marketing and combining it with an inside/outside and
outside/inside approach to use of the internet then countries can
benefit
greatly.

Sincerely,
Eric Dierker

* It is important to note that the U.S. cannot disturb a foreigner's
right to use a public resource based upon his being from or residing in
a foreign country, although it seems we have done it with the the
internet.