Re: [ga] the NC takes the next step

Leah and all assembly members,

L Gallegos wrote:

> Regardless of the representation within a ccTLD country or region, do
> we or anyone outside that region have a right to interfere?

  In a a word, Yes we do.  However the term "Interfere" might not
be the proper term to use here...  Some of us have DN's registered
in ccTLD name spaces.  As such those name spaces are international
in their use in some cases, and/or have registrants that have either
business interests in their hosts countries but do not reside in the host
country for that particular ccTLD name space or the DN's which are
registered by non-residents are registered in a unrestricted ccTLD...

> In the end, if a country is at odds with a cctLD manager, it should be up
> to them to work it out and not ICANN, an SO organization or any other
> outside force.  To do anything else puts ICANN in a political policy
> position which is completely out of line.

  You may have a good point here!

> Leah
>
> On 6 Jun 2001, at 17:25, Jim Ayson wrote:
>
> > At 01:18 AM 6/6/01 -0400, Joanna Lane wrote:
> >
> > >The argument to that is that there is a fundamental conflict of interest
> > >for the ccTLDSO to represent both themselves and their client. If the
> > >ccTLDs represent 244 countries and each has 1 vote on an issue, how many
> > >votes do registrants have? The balance of power has to be created by a
> > >separate SO for registrants, so that the ccTLDSO vote and the RegsitrantSO
> > >is commensurate, one vote each. I would like to hear from the ccTLDs on
> > >this issue.
> >
> > People might assume that all of the ccTLD manager's actions have full
> > support of the local community, which is not always the case. I agree that
> > the voice of the individuals within the ccTLD should be heard as well.
> >
> > As an example, I've come across an unconfirmed report that during the ccTLD
> > managers meeting in Stockholm. the .PH ccTLD manager proposed a change in
> > the ccTLD best practices draft so instead of it saying that the manager has
> > a duty to "consult with the community" he has proposed this be changed to
> > something like "consult with the community but not be constrained to follow
> > the community or get consensus" or something to that effect. This is quite
> > an alarming development if true, and I'd be interested to verify if this
> > was in fact raised during a discussion of ccTLD best practices. Are there
> > any minutes to the ccTLD meetings posted on line?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827