Re: [ga] New Privacy Initiative

> Kudos to Tucows for taking the first steps in making the privacy of
> registrant data a new ICANN consensus policy. You can find a letter sent
> today from Tucows to the ICANN Board, DNSO Names Council, and registrar
> community here:
>
>   http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg00465.html
>
> The goal apparently is to create a new ICANN consensus policy that will
> prevent the misuse of a registrant's personal data for mass marketing
> purposes.
>
> This seems like something that the General Assembly could and should
> support.

Can I endorse this.  The basic summary of what is proposed seems to be that
registrants must opt in rather than have to opt out of being included in non e-
mail mass marketing.  TUCOWs have made a good case and it is an issue that
affects most domain name holders.

I think it is premature to have a vote of endorsement at such an early stage.
There may well be other arguments to consider but certainly at the appropriate
time it would be good for the GA to vote on this issue.  My initial inclination
is very much in favour.

DPF