[ga] Re: Intake for WG-Review

Joanna and all remaining assembly members,

  Yes.

  However there is a mechanism for electing a Chair now.  I also
believe that you mean Co-Chair in stead of Alternate Chair..
I also believe that ICANN has decided on a funding plan for the DNSO..

Joanna Lane wrote:

> Jeff and all remaining members,
>
> I propose the following summary of comments from our recent discussion under
> the thread of the GA Chair are passed to WG-Review Group for consideration
> and possible inclusion in the summary report under the GA topic. If you
> concur, please reply with a yes. Should you wish to discuss further, please
> use the original subject thread.
>
> Thanks,
> Joanna
>
> In order to protect the authority, independence and integrity of the GA, NC,
> DNSO, it is recommended that the current DNSO administration addresses the
> following issues.:-
>
> 1. The GA needs to be funded. Prospective funding of the GA Chair should not
> be treated as funding of the individual according to any particular need,
> but should be treated as funding of the GA as a whole. Members should have
> the discretion to extend support to the Chair
> as they see fit, determining the level of funding that will be necessary for
> it's elected representative(s) at ICANN meetings, including travel expenses.
> All funding for GA Chair/ Alternate Chair must be filtered through, and
> agreed by, the membership, whatever its source.
>
> 2. Although review of ICANN Bylaws reveals that the DNSO already has a very
> high profile within the ICANN structure, the GA, as a group within the DNSO,
> does not enjoy the full benefit because it cannot elect it's own Chair. As a
> direct result, the GA may suffer from lack of self-esteem and confidence,
> without which, it's ability to function is effectively crippled. This has
> been a systemic problem within DNSO and remains so.
>
> 3. The GA should take on the role of obtaining feedback directly from
> relevant sources outside of  the ICANN structure, as this would add an
> unique value to DNSO in a way that Constituencies could not emulate, since
> they each have a partisan agenda, which the GA does not. That is one of its
> benefits and all the more important for the GA to undertake this role if the
> BoD does not care to share insights with DNSO GA.

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827