RE: Re[4]: [ga] GA Chair

William wrote:-
</snip>
Even if online participation ever reaches any kind of parity with
physical attendance, the GA Chair should be physically present at the
ICANN meetings.
I agree that there should be funding for the GA Chair's attendance,
but I wouldn't count on it coming from the NC or ICANN.
The GA should take this up itself, rather than seeking
something from the NC on it, if anything just to show that it can act
as an independent body within the DNSO structure.
<snip/>

[Joanna]- I would wait until we are close to achieving online parity before
passing judgement on the benefits of physical attendance. The value that
both the NC and ICANN places on the GA can be measured by their willingness
to support it's existence, including financially. What support is necessary
needs to be quantified, but the bottom line can be determined by how much
people have been willing to give to the cause on an ongoing basis, in terms
of their time, expertise and money.

By the way, while we're on the subject of difficulties with taking up
prestigious honors for lack of funding opportunities, I would mention my
Nomination to serve as a Representative from New York on the Republican
Presidential Round Table. Their April meeting includes a Senior Advisor to
the President, a Counselor to the Vice President, a White House Political
Director, White House Congressional Liaison and 17 Senators, offering a
glimpse into the Bush Cabinet and clarifying the new Administration's
position with regard to Business and Technology in the 21st Century. It
could be said that the rewards of friendship with these people (who are not
available online and probably never will be), is of greater value to us than
physical attendance at ICANN meetings. One of the things we need to do is
raise the profile of the GA within DNSO and this would be one way to
generate a positive profile, while obtaining feedback at the highest level.

Regards,
Joanna