Re: [ga] GA Chair

Joanna and all remaining assembly members,

Joanna Lane wrote:

> William wrote:-
> </snip>
> Even if online participation ever reaches any kind of parity with
> physical attendance, the GA Chair should be physically present at the
> ICANN meetings.
> I agree that there should be funding for the GA Chair's attendance,
> but I wouldn't count on it coming from the NC or ICANN.
> The GA should take this up itself, rather than seeking
> something from the NC on it, if anything just to show that it can act
> as an independent body within the DNSO structure.
> <snip/>
>
> [Joanna]- I would wait until we are close to achieving online parity before
> passing judgement on the benefits of physical attendance.

  Well stated and agreed.  However you are going to have a great deal of
trouble in convincing the current crop or ICANN BoD members of this.

> The value that
> both the NC and ICANN places on the GA can be measured by their willingness
> to support it's existence, including financially. What support is necessary
> needs to be quantified, but the bottom line can be determined by how much
> people have been willing to give to the cause on an ongoing basis, in terms
> of their time, expertise and money.

  I would tend to lessen the the emphasis on how much $$ anyone is willing to
provide with respect to GA Chair nominations.  However time and expertise
and time should play a most important role, IMHO.

> By the way, while we're on the subject of difficulties with taking up
> prestigious honors for lack of funding opportunities, I would mention my
> Nomination to serve as a Representative from New York on the Republican
> Presidential Round Table. Their April meeting includes a Senior Advisor to
> the President, a Counselor to the Vice President, a White House Political
> Director, White House Congressional Liaison and 17 Senators, offering a
> glimpse into the Bush Cabinet and clarifying the new Administration's
> position with regard to Business and Technology in the 21st Century. It
> could be said that the rewards of friendship with these people (who are not
> available online and probably never will be), is of greater value to us than
> physical attendance at ICANN meetings.

  Agreed here.  The importance that some seem to place on physical
attendance in the Internet world is not well founded, and should not be
required.
This has been one of our mantras from the beginning of the ICANN "Process".
It remains so, if not even more so now.

> One of the things we need to do is
> raise the profile of the GA within DNSO and this would be one way to
> generate a positive profile, while obtaining feedback at the highest level.

  If you read the ICANN Bylaws closely, you will see that the DNSO
already has a very high profile within the ICANN structure.  As to
how positive this profile is presently is of course a matter of great
constragation presently, and has been for several months sense the
"Great Exodus" of GA assembly members some months ago now.

  Seeking feedback from the "Highest Levels" is a bit obtuse to me as to
what you mean, Joanna.  Can you enumerate further?  Presently
the current DNSO WG ML's are closed to most participants, the ICANN
BoD does not seem to wish to communicate with the DNSO GA directly,
and the anti Cross posting "Rule" limits to a great extent sharing of
information.
Given these questionable restrictions, "Seeking Feedback" is to these
extents limited, and also overly time consuming as to be less than potentially
optimal.

> Regards,
> Joanna

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827