Re: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:13:03AM +0200, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>  As I
> said already, a subset of the NC (11 people are sufficient) can nominate
> , endorse, and elect, not caring at all what everybody else in the DNSO
> thinks or does.

This is false.  The members of the Names Council are elected.  They
don't get to the NC unless they gain the support of people within their
constituency.

> IMHO, this is a farce.
>
> But the DNSO itself is not (still IMHO).
> Therefore, the DNSO has to stand up and correct the situation before it
> collapses. The point is that, with the current system, the elected
> Director does not represent the DNSO, but just the NC (and maybe 3 or 4
> constituencies, at the most).

Not "maybe".

This would likely be the case no matter what.  I do not forsee any
likely future where the various constituencies, current or imagined, are
going to magically agree -- any election will be carried by a simple
majority of the constituencies, with the angry losers growling and
snapping afterwards.  Pity that more people can't emulate Peter de
Blanc's elegant and constructive "thank you" message.