Re[2]: [ga] Re: [announce] Jonathan Cohen elected for 3 years term at the ICANN Board

Hello Roberto,

Sunday, September 17, 2000, 3:13:03 PM, you wrote:

> William,

> Personally, I don't like (easy) generalizations and I have a definite
> preference (that has caused me problems, and is still doing so!) to call
>  people and things with firstname and lastname (literal translation from
>  italian idiom = does it make sense in English?).

> What do you mean by "DNSO"?

The DNSO is nothing more than the constituencies and their names
council.

> I did not have the impression that the GA (which is part of the DNSO,
> IMHO) had any role at all in the election. I cannot even remember a post
>  of the old/new director to the GA list, neither evidence of him reading
>  any of the stuff over here.

The GA is not a part of the DNSO, in reality. It is nothing more than
illusory, much like democracy in the IDNO.

> IMHO, this is a farce.
> But the DNSO itself is not (still IMHO).

It most certainly is.  Much like all of ICANN is.  There is nothing
fair, representative, open, or transparent about anything related to
ICANN, and the DNSO is one of the most glaring examples of that.

> Therefore, the DNSO has to stand up and correct the situation before it
> collapses. The point is that, with the current system, the elected
> Director does not represent the DNSO, but just the NC (and maybe 3 or 4
> constituencies, at the most).

Of course its that way.  That was the way it was setup.  It was
INTENDED to be that way.  We all know that, don't we?  Please don't
tell me you still have the belief that the GA is a substantive part of
the DNSO?  Or that the DNSO has even the most modest claim to being
representative?

The DNSO and ICANN are in the hands of special interests.  They
dictate these things.   The nomination of Jonathon Cohen, the fool who
said that people shouldn't be allowed to register generic names like
patents.com, was a given.  There was no possible alternative result.
Anything else would have been a risk to the corporate and IP interests
which have done so well at capturing this process.

And no, an individual's constituency would not have changed diddly.
It only would have resulted in the NC and ICANN pointing to the
constituency and saying, "Look how representative we are."

--
Best regards,
 William                            mailto:william@userfriendly.com