RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

Simon,
At 20:18 05/09/00, you wrote:
>Alf,
>>This means that if someone uses our DN servers, they can be sure that
>>uniquness in the Global Internet is taken care of. This is what I meant with
>>"adding some quality".
>
>Unfortunately, this only applies to your TLD servers (or DNS servers
>within your control). It does not apply to those who are just querying
>your published zones.

This is not even true. Let me explain what I plan to install in Stavanger,
sometime next spring:

I operate "parallel clusters" in my technology jargon. This means that we
use groups of machines duplicating their web sites (tow or three). Each
group has a master nameserver targeting hosts in his "cluster" (group).
This means that no one really knows which cluster a call will hit. If one
cluster fails, the other provides transparent hot stand-by. This allows us
to work on a machine in just stopping its "named" (the nameserver).

When I install a parallel cluster in Stavanger, I will get a norwegian
domain name and I will operate two name servers: DNS1.JEFSEY.NO and
DNS2.JEFSEY.NO.

It is my priviledge to decide when and if I update my sites. Right?  If I
stop DNS1.JEFSEY.NO, DNS2.JEFSEY.NO will take over and reroute the calls to
different pages of may be different content.

While I am in your zone. Actually it will be *your* DNS passing information
to *your* switcher which will make it to route calls to different IP addresses.

Alf, this is the way the DNS is designed. You can try as mauch as you want:
Internet is not a centrally operated network. This is why no one owns
Internet, not even Jon Postel or the ICANN, but the users.

The money trick is to make the user to ignore it: otherwise why would he
pay?  BTW you have been the first to rise the question: do ccTLD pay the
ICANN bills?  No because they say we did not *delegate* a job to the ICANN:
who is the owner, onlythe owner can *delegate*.

ccTLD's clear attitude shows us the way.
BTW if ICANN says "you do not pay, you go out of the root", be sure you
will get accepted on alt.root for Norwegian to still use Internet.

The day you accept that, you may the address the real question: "if the
user may use the internet the way he wants, how will I get my money?"
This is a more important since you provide him with other services. But
should solve it since you start thinking on sound basis.
Jefsey