RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

Simon,

I am sorry, I have presented my view in a way that can easily be
misunderstood.

My intention was not to force anybody. The .no ccTLD registry is not an ISP.
We are just managing a domain name space. What I mean is that the .no ccTLD
will recognize the ICANN unique a.root and not rcognize alt.roots, unless
specificly agreed with both parties.

This means that if someone uses our DN servers, they can be sure that
uniquness in the Global Internet is taken care of. This is what I meant with
"adding some quality".

I am sorry that I expressed myself unclear.

> It's likely
> that those DNS servers will also host additional TLDs as they are outside
> your direct control. You will police those DNS servers and remove all .NO
> domains that are not hosted "properly". Everyone who doesn't
> agree with you
> is forced to go elsewhere and use another TLD. If they choose a
> non-USG-root TLD you have successfully managed to create new alt.root
> customers.

Quote from the IAB-document:

"This does not preclude private networks from operating their own private
name spaces, but if they wish to make use of names uniquely defined for
the global Internet, they have to fetch that information from the global
DNS naming hierarchy, and in particular from the coordinated root servers
of the global DNS naming hierarchy."

Anyone can of course use whichever DN server they like, but if they use
ours, they can be certain that they fetch the information from "the global
DNS naming hierarchy, and in particular from the coordinated root servers
of the global DNS naming hierarchy".

> Yeah, it sounds just like Europe in 1939. It makes me wonder what will
> happen in Norway to all those using the .KOSHER TLD.

Best regards,
Alf H