RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

Simon,

>>How would you call a root that does not use the ICANN root as
baseline?

>I'd call it a "Private Root" since it does not reflect the publicly
>viewable internet name space (anything less than the ICANN baseline is
>private name space). It would not be an "Alternative Root" (alt.root)
>the "IANA/ICANN root" in the publicaly-viewable sense.
>
>>(BTW, I assume that you cannot make sure that an alternate root does
not
>>  point to different name servers for the TLDs that are also in
ICANN's
>>root)
>
>While it's possible, what incentive is there at the end user level to
use a
>zone missing any TLDs? Maybe an organization can set it's DNS servers
up to
>boycott a ccTLD (think about protesting .ZA during Apartheid), but it's

>localized to those organizations end users, and can easily be
circumvented
>by anyone knowledgeable.
>
>Thinking about it some more, there's an inherent trust given to all DNS

>server operators by the end users served. There's nothing stopping the
glue
>records for any domain name or TLD from being changed on any server
>anywhere on the planet. You can do this at any level - it is not
restricted
>to root servers.

The main thing I am worried about is that two alt.roots have different
name servers for the same TLD.

And this I don't like.

>We all saw what John Postel and Paul Vixie (at John Gilmore's
prompting)
>did a couple of years ago in splitting the root servers up into US
>Gov-controlled and non-USG-controlled groups by changing the
>non-USG-controlled root servers to pull their root zone from an IANA
server
>instead of a.root. What they actually did was attempt to create an
alt.root
>out of the non-USG-controlled root servers. Had no-one noticed the
change
>of root authority then the 7 CORE TLDs would have been added to half
the
>root servers and the root would have been fragmented from that point
on. As
>a POC member you were supposed to oversee and prevent this from
happening.
>Instead the USG intervened.

First of all, the intention was not at all to fragment the root and to
start an alt.root.
As for the overseeing role of POC, I will not argue, just notice that I
was not a POC member at that time.
For the record, I spoke against the "experiment" at the CORE Assembly in
 Washington, DC, that was ongoing when the events happened. I assume I
would have had the same attitude in POC ;>).

Regards
Roberto