RE: [ga] DNSO ICANN board member

At 22:09 01/09/00, you wrote:
>Roberto,
>
>> >"An Alternative Root is a DNS root zone containing both ICANN
>> >administered Top Level Domains and additional non-ICANN
>> >administered Top Level Domains."
>> >
>> >Dave has the concept right. But, in order for the DNS root not
>> >to fragment, the ICANN root has to act as the baseline as that
>> >is the lowest common denominator. You mileage may vary with
>> >time.
>>
>>How would you call a root that does not use the ICANN root as baseline?
>
>I'd call it a "Private Root" since it does not reflect the publicly
>viewable internet name space (anything less than the ICANN baseline is a
>private name space). It would not be an "Alternative Root" (alt.root) to
>the "IANA/ICANN root" in the publicaly-viewable sense.

This is true: so the word private is better employed here.
I will then come back to "global root" - in spite of the
conceptual disagreement with Harald - for a root which
includes a global vision of the internet : the additional
TLDs and the public root as a default. This g-root could
be located on the user machine abd built from a TLD
shopping list.

>>(BTW, I assume that you cannot make sure that an alternate root does not
>>  point to different name servers for the TLDs that are also in ICANN's
>>root)
>
>While it's possible, what incentive is there at the end user level to use
>a zone missing any TLDs?

Many reasons, globally covered by freedom of receiving.

>Maybe an organization can set it's DNS servers up to boycott a ccTLD
>(think about protesting .ZA during Apartheid), but it's localized to those
>organizations end users, and can easily be circumvented by anyone
>knowledgeable.

I prefer a government to forbide the access to ennemy hosts than to forbide
internet access.

>Thinking about it some more, there's an inherent trust given to all DNS
>server operators by the end users served. There's nothing stopping the
>glue records for any domain name or TLD from being changed on any server
>anywhere on the planet. You can do this at any level - it is not
>restricted to root servers.

Exactly as when you buy an Alitalia ticket from Rome to NY, you trust them
to land in NY and you do not feel you should better buy a Delta ticket. But
you may prefer to fly Alitalia for many reasons.

The same you may prefer use the ".com" public version of someone else than
NSI.
Example: [family].com: all the adult sites have been removed.
Example: [nobanner].com: all the banner hosts have been replaced by a
flower banner generator or the company's banner host.
Jefsey