Re: [ga] last word on .earth, .usa, and .z

Rick Wesson wrote:
> John,
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, John Palmer wrote:
> [snip]
> > Palmer also announced today that ADNS's  root nameserver, ASLAN, a member
> > of the Open Root Server Consortium, received 763,311 hits in June - an
> > increase of over 40% over May.
> 763,311 queries per month is equlivant to about 1 query every 2 seconds.
> one ICANN root server does 9,000 queries per second sustained. in one
> month an ICANN root server averages 23,328,000,000 queries. Mr palmers
> servers serves 0.0032720% of the number of queries an ICANN root server
> does.

Actually less than that... It's 1 query every 3.3 seconds on average. A lot
of which I would presume are from Mr. Palmers own machines. Would be nice to
see how many average-Joe internet users (or even ISPs) are using that server.
And when you see that the average query to an ICANN root server comes from a
main resolver of an ISP or organisation, and that the average query to a
non-ICANN root server *PROBABLY* comes from an individual user, you see that
the stats look even worse for the alternative RSCs.

Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that the existance of alternative RSCs is
a VERY good thing, as it obliges the ICANN RSC to be fair, useful and
competent. The pathetic stats that all the alternative RSCs are showing just
indicate that they are all doing a lousy job. It would be *probably* even
better if some alternative RSC were to turn up and actually gain public
acceptance. For the time being that is not happening and the ICANN RSC is
all we have (realistically speaking).

> I hope we all can now better understand just what visibility and
> penitration the .earth, .usa, and .z  are getting into the greater
> internet.
>
> If Mr Palmer wishes to publish his zones I'm sure we can make better
> estimates but with out them we can only compare his rogue zones
> with the information he has provided.

Agreed.
Yours, John Broomfield.