[ga] last word on .earth, .usa, and .z

John,

On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, John Palmer wrote:

> ON THE EVE OF YOKOHAMA - A RADIO AD CAMPAIGN WARNING INTERNET
> USERS ABOUT THE DAMAGE THAT ICANN WILL DO IF IT STAYS ON ITS
> PRESENT COURSE

[snip]

> Palmer also announced today that ADNS's  root nameserver, ASLAN, a member
> of the Open Root Server Consortium, received 763,311 hits in June - an
> increase of over 40% over May.

763,311 queries per month is equlivant to about 1 query every 2 seconds.
one ICANN root server does 9,000 queries per second sustained. in one
month an ICANN root server averages 23,328,000,000 queries. Mr palmers
servers serves 0.0032720% of the number of queries an ICANN root server
does.

I hope we all can now better understand just what visibility and
penitration the .earth, .usa, and .z  are getting into the greater
internet.

If Mr Palmer wishes to publish his zones I'm sure we can make better
estimates but with out them we can only compare his rogue zones
with the information he has provided.

best regards,

-rick