Re: [ga] Older Registrations

At 02:46 PM 3/30/00 -0800, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>Jon wanted to reach consensus, publish same as RFC, and enact. Nothing

An accurate summary.

And quite different from using "RFC process" as a term referring to some
sort of established formal process.  The essential point is developing
community consensus.  Documenting it through publication of an RFC is
entirely secondary.

> > IANA created and administered the DNS and its TLDs from the start of the
> > DNS, long before NSF was involved.
> >
> > There is a continuing failure to distinguish between funding and
> > authority.  They are quite separate things.
>
>You're making my point for me, then. NSF funded, IANA had authority.
>They may or may not be related.

That statement is at variance with the earlier, simple and firm claim that
NSF "granted" authority to IANA.

To repeat:  NSF involvement in DNS matters came about long, long after IANA
initiated DNS operations.  That involvement occurred when there was a
desire to move DNS root and gTLD operations from SRI to NSI.  SRI was the
original administrator, and did the job for roughly 8 years.  I believe,
however, they had done it under umbrella funding.  The operation grew large
enough to warrant independent funding and NSF was, at that point, the
primary source of US government funds for on-going Internet work.  So they
were the natural place to seek the funds from.

In a very real sense, NSF's "authority" to provide the funding of this
activity came from IANA.

What makes the debate about these details peculiar is that those who
participated in these events are having to keep correcting the tenacious
misunderstandings of those who had no involvement or even any meaningful
Internet presence.

At 07:31 PM 3/30/00 -0800, Christopher Ambler wrote:
> >From the declaration of George Strawn in one of the PGMedia v. NSI cases:

Ahh, yes.  George.

As folks conveniently dismiss the authority basis for the IAHC, gTLD-MoU,
and POC/Core, they might want to remember that besides having IANA and ISOC
support, the IAHC had NSF's George Strawn as a member...

So, for those who are so insistent that NSF was the definitive source of
authority...

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA