RE: [ga] Older Registrations

At 09:12 AM 3/30/00 -0800, Christopher Ambler wrote:
>Jon was of the opinion that IANA had the authority to create new
>TLDs, but he wanted to do it through the RFC process based on his
>prior experience.

The "RFC process" publishes documents.  It has nothing to do with granding
authority, permission, or stating a decision (other than to make a document
part of the RFC archive.).

Hence, whatever it is that you meant by the reference, it is incorrect.

>William says that Jon was mistaken, and that he didn't have the
>authority. William is unfortunately wrong, for a number of
>reasons. First, NSF gave IANA that authority in its grant to fund
>IANA. The grant document is public record, I strongly recommend
>getting a copy and reading it.

IANA created and administered the DNS and its TLDs from the start of the
DNS, long before NSF was involved.

There is a continuing failure to distinguish between funding and
authority.  They are quite separate things.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA