RE: [ga] Older Registrations

Jon was of the opinion that IANA had the authority to create new
TLDs, but he wanted to do it through the RFC process based on his
prior experience.

William says that Jon was mistaken, and that he didn't have the
authority. William is unfortunately wrong, for a number of
reasons. First, NSF gave IANA that authority in its grant to fund
IANA. The grant document is public record, I strongly recommend
getting a copy and reading it.

Second, William claims that IANA had authority for ccTLDs, but not
iTLDs. If true, I ask that William document this separation of
authority. I have cited the NSF document that gave complete
discretionary authority (as has Simon). William claims that this
was for ccTLDs only, although that's not specified anywhere. One
could reason that there's no way to tell, based on the document
alone. If, however, IANA had no authority to add iTLDs, then I
question how Jon added .int? William never answered that one
when I brought it up a couple of days ago. If IANA didn't have
the authority to add anything but ccTLDs, one would have to
presume that NSF would have stopped the addition of .int.

Based on these items, it is clear that IANA believed that the
authority was there, solicited applications for iTLDs based on
that belief, and that there is no factual or implied reason to
doubt that belief. There is also factual evidence that the
belief was correct, and that the discretionary authority was,
in fact, vested in IANA.

Christopher

=== begin archive ===

RE: top level domain policy ?