RE: About .eu - Was: Re: [ga] Meeting on the creation of .EU TLD, Brussels, 28 March

Peter,

>With appropriate consensus, ICANN itself could insert (or delete)
entries in
>the Root without any direct relationship to ISO-3166.

Agree, in principle, although I believe that in practical terms ICANN
will stick to ISO-3166: they will have enough trouble in delegating a
handful of gTLDs to be willing to multiply it by changing the policy for
 the country codes.

>Also, seeking inclusion in ISO-3166 is an available option to any
qualified
>body.

.. where "qualified" means that it fulfils the three conditions spelled
 out by ISO-3166/MA, or that it takes positive steps towards the
establishment of autonomous "countryhood".

Regards
Roberto