Re: [ga] *IF* ICANN fails what about UN?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Kent Crispin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 02:16:18PM +0100, Mikael Pawlo wrote:
> > I think it would be wise to know what might happen if more and more
> > scholars leave the GA (for various reasons) and ICANN gains no support.
> The departure of scholars from the GA is completely orthogonal to
> support of ICANN.  In fact, a good case could be made that scholars,
> with their idealistic search for perfection, are particularly pernicious
> in a body that must be oriented towards the practical.  "Those who can,
> do; those who can't, become scholars".  ICANN, to be successful, must
> *do* things.  It can't be a testbed for dreams of theoretical
> democracy.

Yadi, yadi, yadi.
ICANN would be fine competetor in the cleaning houses-business if no one
considered the ways and directions ICANN should be working in and towards.
I thought the GA was more of a policy-thinking assembly than an executive
one, thus ICANN the executive force. (Yes I wrote that the scholars leave
the GA (not ICANN))

Anyway, I only got one serious response to my question so I guess things
are as they always were on this list. If anyone has more references on
the original matter than the Zittrain one I would still be interested in
those.

Regards,

Mikael