Re: [ga] *IF* ICANN fails what about UN?

Kent and all,

  Unfortunately you are painting "Scholars" with too broad a brush
and there by committing the logical fallacy of "Glittering Generalities"
here Kent.  Many Scholars, do, *Do things*, and the academe
of sciences clearly indicates, as well as those many that have
won the Nobel prize in different endeavors of categories.  Many
still yet also are actively engaged in practical endeavors both inside
and outside of their affiliated universities.  So to brand them as
particularly "Pernicious" is incorrect in the broad sense.

  Nice try though!

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 02:16:18PM +0100, Mikael Pawlo wrote:
> >
> > I think it would be wise to know what might happen if more and more
> > scholars leave the GA (for various reasons) and ICANN gains no support.
>
> The departure of scholars from the GA is completely orthogonal to
> support of ICANN.  In fact, a good case could be made that scholars,
> with their idealistic search for perfection, are particularly pernicious
> in a body that must be oriented towards the practical.  "Those who can,
> do; those who can't, become scholars".  ICANN, to be successful, must
> *do* things.  It can't be a testbed for dreams of theoretical
> democracy.
>
> --
> Kent Crispin                               "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894