Re: [ga] Re: Harald - it's time to dance

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 03:34:43PM -0500, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
> > And this would be different how if unfiltered people send their replies to
> > filtered people to the officially filtered list?
>
> If the unfiltered people are reading the filtered list, they would not
> reply to posts by filtered people, since they wouldn't see them.

I think we are being tripped up by terminology.  By "unfiltered" person I
meant a person not on the posting blacklist, ie someone whose posts go to
either list.  By "filtered" person I meant someone who cannot post to the
filtered list.

Thus, my question, what happens if Smith who is not blacklisted replies to
Jones, who is?  Will Smith's message appear on the moderated list?  If so,
what's the difference from your original post?

> And I expect very few people will subscribe to the unfiltered list.  In
> fact, what I expect to happen is that people who have meaningful
> material to contribute will abide by the rules, and the total quantity
> of garbage to decline substantially.  That is, it is a difference in
> quantity, not a qualitative difference.
>
> Of course, a message containing a quote that merits banishment merits
> banishment itself.  That is, if you start forwarding JB's pornographic
> doggerel to the list, I will certainly complain to the SAA.

How then does one rally people to complain about improper censorship?
People are not just "filtered" they are nonpersons?

                        -->It's warm here.<--