About bouncing (Re: [ga] Final draft of proposed mailing list rules)

At 11:18 18.01.00 -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

>On 18-Jan-2000 Ellen Rony wrote:
> > Fourth, under Technical Matters, addresses are removed from the mailing
> > list if delivery of mail causes disruptive automatic behaviour (such as
> > bounce messages sent to the mailing list, causing loops.  Routing problems
> > happen due to no fault of the list members.  In the past year, my ISP
> > upgraded hardware, encountered a MAE-WEST system failure in San Jose, and
> > had a smurf attack, all of which caused routing problems and bounced
> > messages for all the email accounts. Why should membership in the GA be put
> > at risk when these situations occur?  If messages bounce, a first effort
> > should be made to contact the GA member through another means.  In one of
> > the situations described above, I was not aware messages were bouncing
> > until I received a phone call.
>
>This doesn't affect their membership, they are free to resubscribe when their
>email is working again.  This is standard list behavior to temporarily remove
>addresses when their email is bouncing, because the each bounce results in
>messages to the list administrator.

Note: normal bounce messages such as the ones you describe will be dealt
with after they have been bouncing for a week or more.

The case I've encountered is where mail is being bounced *to the list*,
resulting in a new message to everyone, including the bouncing subscriber,
which generates a new message, which........

You can see that there needs to be the possibility for the mailing list
manager to take quick and decisive action in this case, else everyone's
mailbox is filled up.

And due to the sometimes argumentative nature of this list, I found it best
to write down explicitly that the list administrator has such a right, just
so that there is no doubt that it can happen.

And - this does not affect (IMHO) someone's status as a GA member.

                        Harald A

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no