Re: [ga] The noise is not reaching me...

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:41:42AM -0500, Javier Rodriguez wrote:
> (oh! you can do fake personalities... any moment I can filter any
> message that have your name in the text body... no big deal...
> you can be filtered as much as I want... you are unix gurus arent you ?
> did you think you are the only ones ? dont mess with the patience
> of the people... and come back to good behavior.  Got it ? )

Individual filtering by list members is no substitute for list rules.
Many of the people we most want participating are both 1) the least
likely to know how to manage filters and 2) the most likely to be turned
away by the loud threatening behavior of thugs.  I refer to lawyers,
policymakers, some businesspeople, not to mention the vast majority of
newcomers to the net.  Lawyers, policymakers, and businesspeople don't
*need* this list to communicate with ICANN -- they will find other ways
to get their opinion heard.  The newcomers will simply get turned off
and go away.

What you are in effect saying is:  "If people don't know enough to
configure their filters, then they don't need to participate."  This
is, as the saying goes "penny wise and dollar foolish".

Moreover, the first thing anyone interested in this forum will do is go
look at the archives, which already are almost useless.  There isn't
any way to filter the archives...