Re: [ga] More UDRP Proceedings

Since I was making an analogy to trademark law, I'll carry it out a little
further. Generally, under U.S. law, you use trademarks or you lose your
rights in them. If one were to make domain name registrations incontestable
after five years of continued, unchallenged use, I wouldn't think it would
make a difference whether that five years had been spent using the domain
name for web-based services, e-mail services, or any other use of the DNS.

What doesn't strike me as a "use" though -- for these purposes -- is simply
registering a domain name and thinking about what you're going to do with
it. Of course, there's no reason that you can't register a domain name and
sit on it. But I wonder whether just sitting unnoticed for five years should
convert your registration to an incontestable one. I wouldn't think so
(though I haven't thought it through very much).

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if there's something worthwhile here,
and I'm very glad you raised it.

        -- Bret